Romans 12:2

Do not conform to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewal of your mind, that by testing you may discern what is the will of God, what is good and acceptable and perfect.

Thursday, August 5, 2010

Pig People at the County Fair

As I mentioned earlier this week...it is time the the county fair. Oh the joy of the Crook County Fair. Ya gotta love it and hate it all at the same time. One of my favorite things about fair is observing the people. I'm kind of like one of those old men that like to sit on the bench at the mall while their wives are shopping away.

The thing I have observed about fair is this....it brings out who we all REALLY are. It's all exciting and a bit stressful, there are kids and animals involved and goes on for several days....so the REAL us comes out. You just can't hide it under fair circumstances....

Here's what I've concluded so far.....

The prepared....are totally prepared with every tool strapped to them at all times.

The early ones....are really early, and 10 steps ahead of the herd.

The later ones....they are late....they are fine and they are used to it, they are just late.

The cranky ones....are just flat cranky. It just comes out.

The intense personalities....are extra intense...and they want everyone else to be intense.

The competitive ones...they are just that. They are scoping out the competition, and competing on everything...from their animal, to their decorations, to their pig sprayer in comparison to anyone else pig sprayer.

Fast walkers....these are the ones that walk EVERYWHERE with a purpose...they are moving out quickly even to go to the potty.

Slow walkers...these ones are on a stroll everywhere they go, they are just taking it all in as they wander.

The kickback ones are just having a good 'ole time...nothing to get all worked up about.

Dirty....these are the people that come to fair all clean, but it takes them about 10 seconds and they are just a mess...if there is something dirty they just land in the middle of it somehow.

Clean...They folks are perfectly cleaned and pressed at all times....doesn't make sense to me as we are around pigs and dirt and all that goes with fair, but these folks know how to keep it all clean and tidy.

Of course we are all a combination of several of these things which is what balances it out in the end.

It's funny how there are all these different people and personalities, and we are all there for the same thing....to have a little fun, teach our kids a few things, and survive the experience and then look back on it, and rave about how it was the best of times, and really the things we got the most upset by are the things we look back on and laugh the hardest at.

I can still remember and laugh about the time I got brand new cowboy boots right before fair and my big 'ole heifer steps right on my foot and dented in the toe right before I was to go out and show, I was crying my eyes out, off partly because my brand new boot had a dent in it and partly because my 1000 lb. heifer had camped on my foot. My dad told me to get my fanny out there, dry it up, and show that heifer (he was the intense competitive type) and so I limped out there with my dented boot and bruised foot and did quite well. We have laughed our heads off about this whole drama to this very day.

It's fun to watch families interact....and at fair it just brings out all the family dynamics. So I'm going to head down to the pig show to watch the people...I mean pigs of course.

3 comments:

marlece said...

such a good post! You are so right too! We are all weird yet we all survive our weirdness together. And isn't it the TRUTH about how fair can bring out the true colors~ha!

marlece said...

ok sister, I think you added a paragraph and this is going to get me thru the day laughing my HEAD off!!!! I remember the limp....that should have brough you in as the grand champ right there if you ask me! Crack me up!!

Shauna said...

lol - soooo ture! I could put a person in each category!

Always fun to be showing you hiney off and Dad be glaring and cussing through the fence but oh boy did his buttons pop when we won! We can never say he wasn't there for us at fair! lol Good Memories, good memories!