Romans 12:2

Do not conform to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewal of your mind, that by testing you may discern what is the will of God, what is good and acceptable and perfect.

Sunday, April 13, 2014

That Was Not Cool.

We are so blessed to live where we do, and frankly it's a bit of a bubble here.  It's an awesome bubble. I'm thankful for my bubble.

  When we have brought our adopted kids home, our community practically fell over themselves to love on them to accept them and to welcome them. 

 When we brought Esther home she thought she was a movie star (she still kinda thinks that), but it was fun to watch and be a part of.

We have often thought race was not an issue here, and therefore, we thought it was pretty well gone in this country. 
 We were blind.

We kind of figured, people have been educated and learned from past stupidity.

WE have since been educated a bit.  
Claiborne has let us in on some realities that we were ignorant of. He has taught us so lovingly the truth and the reality of the world outside of our bubble.  He has answered our questions and told us stories and NOW we get it a bit more.  We will never get it completely until we have walked in someone else's shoes or skin, but we have had our eyes opened a bit more.

This all brings me to what happened, that I thought would NOT happen here. 
 Mik was called the N word.  It was from another kid...and it was meant to be mean.
 Mik handled it so perfectly I could just kiss him.  He told the kid that if he called him that one more time he could take it up with his dad and then he pointed out Charlie who was looking pretty rough from a long dirty day at work.  I wonder what that kid must have thought, but it makes me giggle a little...and the kid shut his mouth.

Esther would have no idea what that meant or that it was even meant to hurt, but Mik has been around enough that HE GETS IT.  He has been exposed to more hurt than any kid his age ever should be.
 He is such a special gift from God.
Even though he has had so much injustice in his young life, his heart is still tender, and he is so secure in his family. He knows who has his back and I'm telling you he has our backs as well.

It makes me think of how we have handled the whole "race" issue.  We have felt like, so far, it hasn't effected us, so why worry about it.  If we dwell on it, we are just adding fuel to the fire, if we ignore it, it will go away.

  NOT!!!

If I let my brothers and sisters in Christ be treated unfairly and I don't stand up for them, even if it's not MY hot button.....what will God have to say about that when I face him.

I think of my kids....if they don't stick up for each other and support each other, I AM FURIOUS.  That will not fly in our house.  

Why would I think that will fly in God's family?

Revelation 7:9-10

English Standard Version (ESV)

A Great Multitude from Every Nation

After this I looked, and behold, a great multitude that no one could number, from every nation, from all tribes and peoples and languages, standing before the throne and before the Lamb, clothed in white robes, with palm branches in their hands,10 and crying out with a loud voice, “Salvation belongs to our God who sits on the throne, and to the Lamb!”

I want to look at my brothers and sisters on this great day and remember the time we stuck up for each other and loved each other well.  







2 comments:

Farm School Marm said...

It's true - we live in a world of sin...and it hurts everyone.

So glad Mik knows his family has his back - and, as you pointed out, that has to be true of our Spiritual family as well. Scripture says if one part suffers, we all suffer. For too long, we have all been willing to let parts that aren't like us (those who don't share our race, or or complexion, or our economic status, or our country) suffer with others like them...but that's just not what the Lord calls us to.

Thanks for the reminder!

marlece said...

WOW! Great post, perfect answer on Mik's part and you know what? He wouldn't have said that if he didn't truely believe Charlie might kick some heavy you know what on his behalf.

Makes my heart hurt.