Romans 12:2

Do not conform to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewal of your mind, that by testing you may discern what is the will of God, what is good and acceptable and perfect.

Thursday, July 10, 2014

No Brakes Necessary

I drive a 2006 Suburban.  I like it.  You would never know it to look at it, because I don’t take very good care of it. 
  I don’t clean it (hardly EVER), and I don’t think about it too much, which is precisely why I really like it.


 It gets me and a whole bunch of other people where we need to go, and I don't have to think about it much.
 It is paid for and it has gotten me almost 200,000 miles (so far) with very little attention.  

I have been worried about the brakes, not because there is anything wrong with them, but I know that brakes wear out and if you wait too long, a simple brake job turns into a way bigger deal.  
*I know this, because I have experienced it with a pickup I used to drive.* 
  It was an expensive lesson.

Anyway, I, for the life of me can not remember ever getting the brakes replaced on this this Suburban.   I got to thinking I better get them babies checked out and pray that I haven’t done damage.
 I wasn't having any problems, THAT I NOTICED.
 Of course, that is part of the problem, I’m just not real in-tuned to the whole car thing;
I only NOTICE a problem if it stops me, or in this case, doesn't stop me.  

So, here is how the conversation with my favorite mechanic went after a brake check:

Mechanic:  Jenay, we checked your brakes out.

Me: Ya, I’m so  sorry, I just wasn’t paying attention….I know it’s bad.

Mechanic: Ahhhh no, the brakes  are fine.  You have a little less than half way to go on them.

*my first thought...is wow, does that mean I can go 400,000 miles on these brakes?*

Me: [thinking I'm totally missing what he is saying] What?  How much is that going to cost?

Mechanic:  Nothing, you are good to go.  Your brakes are fine.  Are those the original brakes?

Me:  I think so.  Is that even possible?

Mechanic:  [with laughter]….I guess so.  You must not use your brakes much.

......................................…LONG PAUSE……………………………..

Me:  SHOOT!!!  Should we check the gas pedal? 

###########################################

Apparently, if my car is any indication….I must be going more than I’m stopping.


 It’s a lot easier to wear those brakes out if you ride them too much. 

 But that gas pedal!!!
  It's very hard to ware out no matter how many miles you ride it.

Lesson learned: 
 Roll on!!! 
 Only apply the brakes if you have to.



1 comment:

marlece said...

I AM WITH YOU!!!!HAHAHHAH! Jim and I just had this conversation. I kept telling him I only hear noises with the brakes when you drive it! He told me cuz I don't use them!!!!! Oh sister.....hahahahahhaa!!!