Romans 12:2

Do not conform to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewal of your mind, that by testing you may discern what is the will of God, what is good and acceptable and perfect.

Wednesday, January 16, 2019

Sent AND Received

I have some time as I sit in the MSP airport and I’m already amazed at the faithfulness of God. 
One of the biggest key elements of any mission trip is to be sent. 
Being sent by the church is God’s way of using the body to protect people from getting off His track and on their own track.

There is no real special “formula” but to do missions the way God intends you will be sent.
He works thru the Church – His body.
He isn’t crazy about sending out hands and feet if they aren’t connected to a body.  J

As usual, it’s been a little weird for us, because we have moved and it takes time to build the relationships in a church to be “sent” by a church and fill all their criteria for missions.
Being “sent” often times means being brought before the church so they can see you, hear a little of what you are doing, and pray over you. 
(There is more to it, but this is like the final commissioning step to a mission trip).

I met with our mission’s pastor at our new church in Montana a while back and he was all for us going to Uganda but had no real input as he doesn’t really know anything about us.  I felt like it was a step in the right direction, but not a real “sending” kinda feel.

I was super sure God had put it on my heart to GO, and I had a lot of confirmations and support from family and friends, but still wanted to be
 “sent” and not just Going.
I get a little hung up on the rules sometimes, which I think is why I never quite fit the criteria for the checkboxes.  God keeps me in tune with the heart of the rules vs. being all proud of my box checking.

In the process of planning, I was praying….

Lord, send me.
  I only want to GO if you are the one sending me and the kids.
  I don’t want to go without you and I know you work thru your church, so make me know YOU are sending us and stop me if you aren’t.

Isaiah 6:8 English Standard Version (ESV)

And I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send, and who will go for us?” Then I said, “Here I am! Send me.”


As time has gone on I have had confirmations all along the way that we were being
 “sent” AND “received”
 by the Lord thru the Church.
We are connected to the BODY here and there.
We are hemmed in on each end, maybe we are
 knees and elbows rather than hands and feet on this one.


Last night as we were having a family gathering to celebrate our newest GRAND coming in JUNE, we were also gathering to make sure everyone is on board to help each other while I’m away. 
 The kids gathered and Charlie joined us by speaker phone and they all prayed over us. 
I felt overwhelmed with love and blessing.  I felt the comfort of the official 
SEND OFF.

No comments: