Romans 12:2

Do not conform to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewal of your mind, that by testing you may discern what is the will of God, what is good and acceptable and perfect.

Thursday, July 12, 2018

Jumping In With Everything We've Got


Matthew 14:29-31 English Standard Version (ESV)

29 He said, “Come.” So Peter got out of the boat and walked on the water and came to Jesus. 30 But when he saw the wind, he was afraid, and beginning to sink he cried out, “Lord, save me.” 31 Jesus immediately reached out his hand and took hold of him, saying to him, “O you of little faith, why did you doubt?”
John 21:7 English Standard Version (ESV)
That disciple whom Jesus loved therefore said to Peter, “It is the Lord!” When Simon Peter heard that it was the Lord, he put on his outer garment, for he was stripped for work, and threw himself into the sea.


I have always wondered why Peter would put on his clothes to jump in the water….I know people study this and the history and the culture, but I have always thought it was a bit out of character given the impulse of Peter.  I mean jumping in the water is totally in his character, but to put his robe on first, seems like an extra step.  

I was texting a friend who went through a very hard trial many years ago and she wasn’t super proud of how she reacted at the time.  Now, as if history is repeating itself, they are facing the exact same trial again. 

I have had this happen in my life many times.  I get through something by the grace of God, and I learn a million lessons that I hope to never have to put into practice and then, sure enough, I circle back to the same thing 
AGAIN.

You begin to look at yourself….and think, ok, I’m the common denominator here….how in the world did this happen AGAIN? 
 Why do I have to be part of the same mess again, in similar situations, different people, different setting, same trial.  

I think this is what Peter was doing when He realized it was Jesus on that shore.  He wasn’t going to take any chances; he jumped in dressed and ready for anything.  He didn’t know if he was going to walk on water, or run, or fly, or swim, and he didn’t care, he wasn’t going to let the opportunity pass him by.  The first time he jumped out of the boat he panicked and sunk and got a little talking to by Jesus.  The second time, he jumped and swam and got a little breakfast with Jesus, which led to a grace-filled, private conversation with Jesus.

May we let the Lord use every trial and especially the ones we get to revisit over and over, to fill us with more grace and draw us closer to Him, no matter how we get there.

May He use our experiences, through failures and successes for His glory.


LORD, HELP US TO JUMP IN WITH EVERYTHING WE HAVE,  AND EVERYTHING WE HAVE BEEN THRU  TO GET CLOSER TO YOU, BECAUSE WE ARE WILD ABOUT YOU.


No comments: