Romans 12:2

Do not conform to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewal of your mind, that by testing you may discern what is the will of God, what is good and acceptable and perfect.

Monday, January 20, 2014

Trusting the Lord with my Kids!

There are certain verses in the Bible I like to claim over my kids...


Jeremiah 29:11

New International Version (NIV)
11 For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the Lord, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.


Psalm 139:13-14

English Standard Version (ESV)
13 
For you formed my inward parts;

    you knitted me together in my mother's womb.
14 
I praise you, for I am fearfully and wonderfully made.[a]
Wonderful are your works;
    my soul knows it very well.





Those are just nice and warm and fuzzy verses, they are truth from God's Word....


But if we are going to believe God's word, then we don't get to pick and choose which verses we want to believe.

  So what about...some of the ones Jesus himself said.....

John 15:19

English Standard Version (ESV)
19 If you were of the world, the world would love you as its own; but because you are not of the world, but I chose you out of the world, therefore the world hates you.

Yikes...I don't want anyone to hate my kids!

Luke 14:25-27

English Standard Version (ESV)

The Cost of Discipleship

25 Now great crowds accompanied him, and he turned and said to them, 26 “If anyone comes to me and does not hate his own father and mother and wife and children and brothers and sisters, yes, and even his own life, he cannot be my disciple. 27 Whoever does not bear his own cross and come after me cannot be my disciple.


John 12:24-26

English Standard Version (ESV)
24 Truly, truly, I say to you, unless a grain of wheat falls into the earth and dies, it remains alone; but if it dies, it bears much fruit. 25 Whoever loves his life loses it, and whoever hates his life in this world will keep it for eternal life. 26 If anyone serves me, he must follow me; and where I am, there will my servant be also. If anyone serves me, the Father will honor him.

I could keep going..but this is a picture of what I wrestled with all night.  I love the Lord and I want to follow Him...and I want my kids to follow Him...
but
 I don't want it to cost us our lives, or anything really. 
 In fact...I don't mind it costing me and Charlie
 (because I always throw him under the bus),
 but I don't want it to cost my kids.

Matthew 4:18-20

New International Version (NIV)

Jesus Calls His First Disciples

18 As Jesus was walking beside the Sea of Galilee, he saw two brothers, Simon called Peter and his brother Andrew. They were casting a net into the lake, for they were fishermen. 19 “Come, follow me,”Jesus said, “and I will send you out to fish for people.” 20 At once they left their nets and followed him.

I'm here to tell you...
if I were the mother of these young men, as Jesus walked by them and said these things to them, as they were doing their job and fishing for fish, and He told them to follow Him and He would send them out to fish for people....I would have probably thrown a fit. 

 After all, they didn't even have the resources to research this...they couldn't google it, or text a few hundred people to pray about it.....they didn't even have a clue how this was going to turn out, they just dropped their nets and followed HIM.

ACTING IN FAITH!!!!!

I would have said to my young son...lets just sit back and see how this thing turns out...let's give it some time...
lets just calm down,
....keep fishing for fish...keep doing what you are doing, and
 THEN
....if it turns out to be safe and smart and successful, 
THEN
 when you are 40ish and have a safe secure future... you can 
GO
 and be a part of all this Jesus business....
but for NOW, fish for fish and be safe...wear your sunscreen..get your rest, wear your life vest, be responsible.
And actually,  show my support, I will send your dad out :) ....and if it all turns out to be what we think...then you can
 GO
 with him next time.  

* All I can say is... poor Charlie...this is REALLY how it goes.*

So, bottom line....I'm a mess...I say I believe...I say I love Jesus and want to live for Him...I say I love my kids and want them to follow Jesus...but I want it all within my 
COMFORT AND CONTROL.

It's NOT happening that way. 

 I'm so glad the Lord loves me and continues to teach me and He is so patient... He also doesn't listen to my whining and my insecurities...He is a big God and He has His very own relationship with my kids and my husband...and He does
 NOT
 have to check with me on what He leads them to do.  

I'm learning
 AGAIN
to trust the Lord with my kids. 

 Maybe that's why He gave me so many...He knew this would be a lesson I would need to learn over and over again. 

 Maybe by Moo, I will not fight it as hard, or Charlie will be so worn out...that he won't be able to be thrown under the bus anymore, and I will have to skip that step in my spinning cycle.
I'm kind of kidding.  I wish I were kidding.

4 comments:

Farm School Marm said...

Isn't that true about so many things - so much that I would rather take on myself than watch my kids take on. I am reminded, though, that the incredible, overwhelming, die-for-you-in-an-instant love I have for my babies is absolutely nothing compared to the love their God has for them.
When I read passages like 2nd Timothy 3:12 (Indeed, all who desire to live a godly life in Christ Jesus will be persecuted) I am convicted that my part is to raise up courageous men and women who will not shrink back under persecution - just as you are doing with your precious babies!

marlece said...

I get so caught up with 'being in the box' I want to put my kids right in there with me. It's so true we have to hands off so the Lord can have hands on.....I've seen you do it with La and now with Kole, you are an example even though you struggle you do it right.

Anonymous said...

I don't know what Kole is being called to but I feel I can fully relate because of where Mary is right now. I'm remembering the phone call I had with you shortly before she left. Love you sis! ~ Lyne

Shawn Waite said...

Thank you for putting into words what many God-fearing, Jesus-loving moms struggle with! The courage and obedience of my own daughters and spurred me on to increase my own! Praise God that he gives us each other to speak words of wisdom from one Mama heart to another!!