Romans 12:2

Do not conform to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewal of your mind, that by testing you may discern what is the will of God, what is good and acceptable and perfect.

Tuesday, February 14, 2012

The Valentine Proposal

Everyone is posting their Valentines love story...so, I couldn't resist!!! 

 Today, 23 years ago my man asked me to marry him.  It was NOT a story that we really share with anyone very often,( so I thought I would just blog it and get that exposed too. haha),  it was not romantic and it is NOT recommended, but it is our story and I love it because it is unique to us and I love "US".   
I would NOT change one thing...even the proposal :)....because it was from my man and I love him more now than ever before, and I loved him to the moon and back even then.  
Here's the Story:

We were having a Valentine"s dinner alone, that I had made for him.
The whole dinner,  I thought he was breaking up with me because he was soooo quiet and deep in thought, but, instead of breaking up with me, when he finally spoke, he proposed!
I had a very hard time shifting gears from tears of fear to tears of joy, so I sat STUNNED at what had just happened, but of course I said YES!

  I was a Senior in high school, and we did not tell a single soul until I graduated. 
Once I graduated he asked my dad and gave me a very special ring that has been passed down for 4 generations.  When he gave it to me, it was also passed around the table to everyone else to see before I got to look at it.
 Again, we are not very romantic but we are very UNIQUE, and that just works best for "us".

It felt odd, to go to school and home and I knew in my heart I had accepted a marriage proposal, but there was no ring and no congratulations, just a big awkward secret.
  I felt excited and guilty, excited about my future, guilty about my secret.

Now we laugh about all that, it is a story that will be told many times in the years to come, and probably get better and better with each telling, if you know what I mean.

 ***  Warning***** 
 My kids better NEVER do anything like this.  

Happy Valentines to my Sweetheart!!! 
 We have been married 22 years and I would NOT trade one day of it for anything else. 
 It is fun, and crazy, and hard, and wonderful and unique. 

Thanks Mom and Dad for not killing me and always being so supportive of me and Charlie and our "unique" ways.
  And Dad  thanks for saying yes, and not killing Charlie. 
 You both took it so much better than I would have.

DO YOU HEAR THAT BREWER KIDS!!!   



5 comments:

Lashae Bowen said...

AWE!!!! hahahaha! You two have always been crazy and ridiculous. But for all my life I've never doubted your love for each other. Thank you for setting THAT example for me and the rest of your babes. You two are incredible and so cute! I love you mommy and daddy!

p.s. the awkwardness and secretness of your proposal has entertained all of us through the years...so thanks hehe

Shauna said...

Charlie just did not want the "knife talk" that was sure to come. Poor guy was the first to pave that path with 4 daughters and a BIG Dad - do you blame him? hehe I think that was sweet that he asked you first. [Vaughan kids better NEVER do that too - :)]

marlece said...

yes, I think you ended this just the way it should be ended, yelling at your kids! This is a great story and it is unique because you HATE thinking you could be lying to someone as you are walking down those school hallways praying to God nobody asks you to the prom because you might have to give yourself and Charles up. Yip, and I am glad you are married too!

Laurel said...

Great story.

We got engaged on our 3rd date (31 years ago). I was 19. I went home from a weekend in Eastern Wa. without a ring ... with a secret ... wondering if it was really real.

Oh yea. I can so relate.

We Are Family said...

23 years ago? Have mercy, what were you 5? Love it!