Romans 12:2

Do not conform to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewal of your mind, that by testing you may discern what is the will of God, what is good and acceptable and perfect.

Sunday, January 14, 2018

Poverty vs. Abundance

Uganda’s big problem is poverty and America’s is abundance and they both have the same end.
This was Pastor Tuckers statement on one Sunday when we were there,  and he nailed it.
Either way can make us stop trusting God.



Proverbs 30:7-9
Two things I ask of you;
    deny them not to me before I die:
Remove far from me falsehood and lying;
    give me neither poverty nor riches;
    feed me with the food that is needful for me,
lest I be full and deny you
    and say, “Who is the Lord?”
or lest I be poor and steal
    and profane the name of my God.

I’ve seen both extremes.  Both are sad.  Poverty looks, feels, and smells worse, because there's really no way to hide it.  Abundance is equally dangerous and probably worse because it's deceptive.  If we have all the pleasures and comforts of this world and we forget God we are lost.

Abundance can lead us astray because we often begin to think it's God's blessing.  I don't think God wants credit for our idolatry. I have no doubt everything we have is from God, the very air we breathe is from God, but if we start thinking that God is showing His approval of us by giving us more stuff and money, if that is our measure, than what are we saying about children born into poverty?
Whether we are living in poverty or abundance...we are all in need.  We need Him, we need Him in every circumstance and in every situation, in every economy and every culture.  It's just easier to see to see the need when the person lives in poverty.

I hear a lot about "culture" when people are trying to understand differences....I don't know the "culture"...it's just our "culture".....what is the "culture" like....that would never fly in our "culture".

If we are Christian, isn't our "culture" all the same no matter where we live?  We are to live the "Jesus culture"....so even though there may be differences in language and foods and transportation, politics, and education....we should use the Word of God as our "culture" guide.  I think it is important to study "culture" to understand people, but I think it's even more important to study the Word of God, so we understand the "culture" we live, for those who follow Jesus.

May we give Him our lives, and trust God with everything, no matter where we live or our financial status or living conditions.

No comments: