Romans 12:2

Do not conform to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewal of your mind, that by testing you may discern what is the will of God, what is good and acceptable and perfect.

Friday, December 6, 2013

Uganda Update

Matthew 5:13-16

English Standard Version (ESV)

Salt and Light

13 “You are the salt of the earth, but if salt has lost its taste, how shall its saltiness be restored? It is no longer good for anything except to be thrown out and trampled under people's feet.
14 “You are the light of the world. A city set on a hill cannot be hidden. 15 Nor do people light a lamp and put it under a basket, but on a stand, and it gives light to all in the house. 16 In the same way, let your light shine before others, so that[a] they may see your good works and give glory to your Father who is in heaven.


I have a testimony, not anything I have done...but what God has allowed me to be a part of.

At the beginning of 2013  Charlie and I sat down with Chaney and Lashae and some friends and we talked about what was on our hearts for the year 
2013.

All of us had the same thoughts, but in different situations.  We all asked the Lord to allow us to be a part of something He was going to bless, and that it was on our hearts to deepen relationships.  To be transparent and to
 "let our lights shine...even if there were sparks".  

When you dig deep with people, life is messy.
  People have problems...all of us do.  And when you open yourself up, and love on people that allow themselves to be open...it's going to set off sparks and it is going to sting.
But, what I have learned is when you stick it out...and you press in...with the Lord and with people...the sparks light a fire and the fire is warm and inviting.

God has been abundantly gracious to me this week.
He has allowed me to be a part of His work and His blessings in 
GIANT
 amounts.

Here is just a taste of some things the Lord has done:

I have spent time with my sweet friend Lisa and her darling baby.  
She got saved when I was here a year ago.  
As only the Lord would have it....she is now working at the guest house that I am staying at.
Every time I come in and out of this place, I am greeted by my friend and her darling baby.  She gets so overwhelmed with excitement at times that she gives me a full body hug...out of nowhere.  
It blesses me and makes me laugh.
AND
Mark, her former muslim husband, NOW CHRISTIAN,...also works here and has brought me a beautiful basket as a gift.  

My mind can not wrap around how God could plan things so 
amazing!


Also I have spent a lot of time with my Ugandan  teenage son, Simon, whom I adore.


  We have spent every waking moment together. 
 We have had good devotions in the morning together and we have had good talks in the evenings.
  I have given him my very motherly talk...that I give to my boys....  :)   and he informed me in a very respectful manner....that in Uganda the mothers do not talk of such things.....the fathers talk to the boys and the mothers talk to the girls...I told him I am his American mom and we do talk of such things.
His Ugandan father is passed and his American Dad is not here...so he would have to listen up. 
 He cracked up and listened intently.

 So he has it down pat...NO GIRLS!!!  UNTIL he is done with school and then he will maybe meet a Christian girl, if that is what the Lord has for him, and then he may get married and live a godly life with His wife to be an example to more Ugandan men. 
 You rarely see families here that live together and work together and raise their kids together and go to church together.  
He can be an example to so many.  It is needed everywhere in our world....but it is desperately needed here.


It has been a year of so many changes and hardships and unknowns with Redeemer House, and yet God has been so faithful to be with us in every storm, and
God is pouring out His blessing abundantly.

There will always be hardships with any kind of ministry or relationship this side of heaven....but one thing I know to be true and have said it 100 times this week....

GOD IS FAITHFUL

and

GOD IS GOOD!!!

God has blessed me beyond what I could have imagined at the beginning of this year, and there have been many times throughout the year...that I could only see the hardships in many situations....but this week I have seen 

fruit!

John 15:15-17
English Standard Version (ESV)
15 No longer do I call you servants,[a] for the servant[b] does not know what his master is doing; but I have called you friends, for all that I have heard from my Father I have made known to you. 16 You did not choose me, but I chose you and appointed you that you should go and bear fruit and that your fruit should abide, so that whatever you ask the Father in my name, he may give it to you. 17 These things I command you, so that you will love one another.

Oh to be a friend of Jesus!!!! 


3 comments:

marlece said...

The update is great and of course the Lord is doing a mighty work and in the process you are feeling blessed. This blesses my heart too. Glad you are doing so well. And you tell Mr. Simon that there are Auntie's that will 'give him the talk' if he doesn't listen to his American Mother!

Shauna said...

THRILLED to pieces - pieces I tell you! God is so good! And you made me laugh about "the talk"…. a culture barrier worth [needed] crossing!

The McKinnon Crew said...

Love you, friend...God is faithful.