Romans 12:2

Do not conform to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewal of your mind, that by testing you may discern what is the will of God, what is good and acceptable and perfect.

Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Suffering - Easter

We spent 7 hours on Good Friday watching a simulcast by David Platt.  He spent the whole time teaching from Genesis through Revelation about SUFFERING - and God's Glory.
It was the fastest most intense teaching time I have EVER heard.
 I left with my head spinning, but I was changed. 
 I had a better understanding of God and His character and His purpose and how suffering fits into that, and what it means when we say "God is good" and yet, bad things happen to good people.

I will never fully understand it all and I will never like it, but I have a little better understanding  and a little different view of suffering.
 I trust God more, I have a better understanding of his GREATNESS and HIS LOVE and HIS GLORY.

I'm thankful to the Lord that He gave me some tools on Friday night to help me better understand suffering a little bit better, because on Sunday and Monday we have watched several of our friends SUFFER in horrible ways, and I just keep referring to how I know God is in control, and He is GOOD and He cares for us and He can use EVERYTHING FOR THE GOOD OF THOSE WHO LOVE HIM.

Romans 8:28

English Standard Version (ESV)
28 And we know that for those who love God all things work together for good,[a] for those who are called according to his purpose.

On Sunday evening we got word that a dear friend our ours and a friend to so many others had a major brain aneurysm.  Gloria is an amazing woman with a testimony a mile long.  Gloria is a blessing to so many. This friend walks the walk, she loves the Lord passionately and she loves people and everyone who knows her, knows this about her.
 She is a mother, a wife, a Sunday school teacher, a friend, and a JOY to be around.

Then on Monday morning we learned a sweet couple from our church and our community had a very serious accident with their mules on Sunday afternoon.  They are going to be ok, but they are banged up pretty bad.  The Steinbrechers are salt of the earth, loving people.  They are lovers of Jesus, and they know how to enjoy God and His gifts and His creation.

Then, Monday afternoon Charlie learned that an old bull rider buddy of his had an accident and fell and disturbed an old neck injury and is not able to move.  He has feeling in his extremities, and he had surgery, but he has a long road to recovery.

Charlie visited these friends at the hospital, and everyone is in rough shape - SUFFERING.
 Their loved ones are suffering deeply.

Here's what I have to remember; God intends sanctification from our suffering.  Satan intends for destruction.
  God WINS!!
  God's plan ALWAYS trumps Satan's plan.
 God is completely in control, He always has the final say.
 I know that God is good, even in horrid tragedy, I know he hears our prayers and He loves us, He IS LOVE.

I know there are many people storming the gates of heaven on behalf of Gloria.  I know God hears our cry. I know Gloria is in the mighty awesome palm of our almighty God. 

I know people are praying for the healing of the Steinbrechers.

  And I know people are praying for Willy.
  Charlie got the opportunity to pray for Willy; and what a blessing that was.  Not something you always get the privilege of doing with your buddy from years past.
  Willy was accepting of the prayer and grateful.  

Our hearts are hurting for these suffering people, but I know God will bring Glory to His might name through each of these situations. 

The Cross - Jesus dying on the cross - was the ultimate sacrifice - the ultimate suffering FOR US - after the ultimate sacrifice and suffering came resurrection and healing and GOOD NEWS!!


Many of us just celebrated all this on Easter with Gloria and with the Steinbrechers, at Sunrise service.  These folks know Jesus very personally, and He is their Savior, and their strength and their comforter.  
No matter how God glorifies Himself in these lives it is GOOD NEWS, because God is Good and He is THE GOOD NEWS.

Please join us in prayers for all these people.

We had a pretty small group this year.   We really missed the rest of our family.  



It was a beautiful day!


1 comment:

Shauna said...

It is so important to grasp this (as much as our minds can). The Lord has been speaking to me on this matter too. When our pastor spoke on Sunday the word "necessary" kept jumping out. Jesus' suffering was necessary. Our suffering is necessary. I love Romans 8:28! I want to cling to it in the midst of whatever it may be.

I believe there is so much more going on than we can "see" - in the heart, mind and soul….. somehow suffering plays a huge part in that change. It is a part of it all. But our flesh screams "why the heck is THIS happening to me!!!" Thank God for the word of God!

ONe more…and I will quit writing a book on you comments ;). Our pastor talked about how before the cross the disciples were REALLY not into suffering and in fact denied Jesus for fear of suffering ….AFTER the cross they ran into suffering of all kinds - knowing full well their choices would bring more suffering. THe cross changed everything - the question was posed, what side of the cross are we on?

Thanks for writing this post.

And…. 7 hours???? Whoa!!!