Romans 12:2

Do not conform to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewal of your mind, that by testing you may discern what is the will of God, what is good and acceptable and perfect.

Saturday, October 1, 2016

United Division

Unity and Division.

I've been thinking a lot about this in different areas of my life lately.



I'm learning to look both ways before I cross the road and step out.  If I only look one-way, in the spirit of UNITY, or live in denial (this one is my go-to) there will be DIVISION and probably a big wreck that I didn't see coming.

There is so much to continually learn  and grow and correct, but if we wait until we have it all figured out, we will never get anywhere because we will stand on the side and never step out. 

Image result for picture of a crosswalk

Here is some areas I've stepped into the crosswalk or sometimes it feels like the crosshairs, and in the CROSS - ing, I'm learning in a few different areas in my life about UNITY / DIVISION.

ADOPTION:  I love love love adoption for so many reasons.  I feel completely blessed to be a part of it, BUT, there are a zillion problems with every part of it.  I used to get all defensive if someone pointed out or asked questions about the "hard or broken" parts of adoption because I felt I had to stick up for it, even if that meant "covering" the truth about the "hard and broken" parts.  I finally came to understand that I could acknowledge and admit to the "hard and broken" parts, and love it and believe in it at the very same time.  Being honest gave me the freedom to be truly passionate and LOVE in TRUTH.  I began to see how God uses the "hard and broken" parts as much or more as the fun and easy parts.

PARENTING:  I love my kids more than words could ever express.  I know they are each my greatest gifts and greatest blessings of my life. I am thankful and humbled by these gifts; they are also the highest calling that the Lord has placed in my life to serve Him. The thing is....,  there are days when my heart just sings with joy as I attend to each and every need and mess that they bring to my day.  There are also many days when I am totally convinced that I am messing them up more than I am cleaning up their messes! And that my friends, is a LOT of messy messed up peeps.
 I WANT to anticipate each morning with excitement and joy as we wake up and face another day, but the TRUTH of the matter is,  I approach most nights with joy and relief, because it means we have all made it thru another day.  Sometimes I feel most blessed by my kids when they are sleeping and they are quiet and still and peaceful and they are not needing anything from me and not making any messes.

 My kids can make my chest feel like it will explode with love that I can't even contain, and they also make my head feel like it might explode.

I have lived in denial, at the DIVISION within myself of the different kinds of explosives brewing in me....I felt guilt for being more excited for the nighttime sleepy heads than the daytime busy bodies.
 I wanted to LOOK like an amazing mom and have all my BLESSINGS be lined up in a neat and tidy row.

 I now understand that I do significant damage to their hearts and mine when I am working on the outside appearances while denying inside issues.  I have tried to cover up with activities and fun snacks and awesome mom LOOKING moments.  It turns into a vicious cycle of prep, perform, clean up, prep, perform, clean-up....repeat, no real life, just motion. When I'm locked in the vicious cycle of appearances I get tired and dizzy,  The inside work seems harder, and takes longer to see results, but when the inside is worked on, the outside looks good.  When we tend to those hearts and love from the inside out, and stop covering up, but digging IN deep, we can see TRUE beauty even in the midst of the mess.  I can acknowledge when my head is near explosion levels and I can adjust accordingly, rather than covering it in activities and snacks that light the fuse.
  Moms!
 We can be great moms and love our kids and our mom-jobs; we can be really super good at it, AT THE SAME TIME we can admit that there are days it feels like our little gifts of life are squeezing the life CLEAN out of us,
ONE MESS AT A TIME.

RACE:  When I acknowledge that there is a BIG racism problem in our country, people get crazy quiet or crazy mad, and then I post something about the awesomeness of police officers and people go "like" crazy.  Did it ever occur to people that you can acknowledge racism and respect and appreciate law enforcement
 AT THE SAME TIME. 
 Why does it seem there has to be DIVISION.
 Either you are for one and against the other?
 That is not truth or unity.  TRUTH is...there is racism and awesome police
 ****BOTH**** !!!
  People think if we are for one or expose one we hate the other.....NOT TRUE.  We can be UNITED and acknowledge the TRUTH and respect and appreciate the law.

POLITICS:  I tried to watch the debates the other night and could only make it about 15 minutes.  It is supposed to be a time to hear questions and answers and gain understanding so that people can vote or UNITE with the candidate that they want to lead this country.  There is such division  and denial as to what the issues  at hand are, even if there is an issue, let alone the priorities of the issues, and then you have the "history" of the candidates and what they have said and done or stood for or stood against; they don't even acknowledge factual historical events...there's so much lying and slander to sort through and no clear answers.   The crazy part to me, as a non political person, is that in order to want to lead this country, you must be committed and care about this country (right?)....but it sure doesn't seem that way, when all we hear are lies and slander.  I would think these candidates were not only from different parties, but different countries or different planets all together.  Where's the UNITY in the United States? I know there will always be different sides....but it seems, if we could just AGREE and ACKNOWLEDGE what the "issues" are, and how we got here..... then we could hear how each candidate wants to address them.
 I don't know......I turned it off (denial).

Criminals hung on both sides of the CROSS, on either side of Jesus, and one side admitted he needed help and that he was in the wrong, and he landed in Paradise....the other remained in denial and rebellion and ended up in hell.

Jesus is in the business of exposing the heart - the truth.  People that would look so put together and cleaned up on the outside, but are blinder than bats and meaner than snakes, he would call OUT - he exposed them. The people that came to him and admitted they needed HIM, they needed healing or asked him questions so that they may understand; He would heal the ones that admitted they had a problem and he taught the ones who wanted to learn, and he exposed the ones who appeared nice and neat but inside were evil.

Nicodemus was a pharisee in the Bible that came to Jesus to ask some questions in the cover of night because he was afraid to break from the UNITY of the Pharisee brotherhood.  He didn't want to stand out and cause DIVISION.  He came to Jesus and asked questions and got some real hard honest answers that could save his life and the life of his friends.  Wouldn't he want that for his fellow Pharisees? 
 Wouldn't that be worth risking DIVISION to bring TRUTH.

Maybe if we were brave enough to bring questions to the light, uncover the truth, and admit there is a problem and ask for HELP, things could get better, we could be healed in our lives, in our homes and our families and our churches and our communities and our country. 

 1 Peter 3:8-9
Finally, all of you, have unity of mind, sympathy, brotherly love, a tender heart, and a humble mind. Do not repay evil for evil or reviling for reviling, but on the contrary, bless, for to this you were called, that you may obtain a blessing. 


1 Peter 4:8 (ESV) Above all, keep loving one another earnestly, since love covers a multitude of sins.


No comments: